Wednesday 14 January 2015

We have a date!

Way back in July 2010 I started this blog with the intention of it keeping me accountable for when I trained (haha) for when my sister and I decided to 'do' the rail trail. The blog has gone it's own way, with the occassional nod to my walking and other exercise. And often lack of it :)

But we now have a date!
March 2016.

And we have a mode of transport.
Feet!

We will walk it - hopefully it will take us no more than four days, 
maybe three with luck and a good wind.
We have enlisted my GKB to drive a camper van 
which we'll sleep in at night and he can go fishing during the day, if he wants. 
And as he is a fisherman I don't think he'll have any problem with that.
So now I  need to go walking in earnest.


My GKB has to go walking three times a week 
so I am going out with him but it is more of a stroll than a walk.
.His legs get too painful if he goes too hard at it.
So far we have strolled along the beach once or twice
and earlier this week we went to the lake on a beautiful day
 and walked around the lakeside for a bit.



We've also strolled down the floodbank at the Silverstream. 
My GKB gave up after about 10 minutes, he hasn't learnt to pace himself yet.


 So I took off by myself for a brisk walk to the end of the section we were on.


 On one side was an extremely low Silverstream and on the other the playing fields.


It has been very hot and sunny for the last month but today
 the temperatures dropped and so I went out by myself.
I walked away from town and headed down to a crossroads where I usually turn back 
but today I decided to go a little further, straight ahead.
I've driven down here and knew there were some old homesteads
as well as some new modern homes but have never walked down before.


The picture above is Islington, one of the old homes,
and below is the entrance to Chelmsford, one of the new residences.
You can see the end of the garages through the gate.


Anyway, all that is to say, we finally have a plan and now I need to knuckle down.
Strolling three times a week with my GKB and three times out by myself.
I'll give myself a day off on Sundays.
That should do it - as long as I keep it up!


Have a good week,
Diana


Sharing with:

17 comments:

  1. Diana, what is the 'rail trail'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to walk, even a stroll. Anything to get those legs and lungs working.
    Beautiful photos today.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck with training for you walk in March and i love that fence and gate at the end... i need a walking partner and i would walk more

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your post and photos. Thanks for sharing and for stopping by my blog and your kind comment. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so out of shape...I need to follow your example. I used to walk everywhere. Physically no distance bothered me, but now I cannot go any distance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Diana; Oh, how great to have nice walk with wonderful nature, my friend. I always love the scenic tour in your country with your pictures♡♡♡

    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in New Zealand, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at you go :) I hope your training goes well. Hugs to you, sweet lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What stunning pictures and beauty! Nature has such incredible beauty which surrounds us on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! It is so nice to meet you through my dear Stephanie's link up party. :-)
    I sure enjoyed this post, and all the best to you as you prepare yourself for March.
    It would appear that you live in a beautiful area for walking, you are blessed.

    Enjoy your week-end.

    Joy!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to walk along with you. Good luck with your walking. Always nice to know another walker. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so ambitious! I am like GKB....after 10 minutes I am done! I think you will keep this up and do great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's something to train for and look forward to! We are trying to fit in 2 or 3 hikes a week right now while the weather is nice. Enjoy your week! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds fun and exciting to Me-Of course it also sounds so good for You too. I'm not a good walker but I do love to swim and try even to swim in the Winter. . Hugs and blessings Your way-Denise

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful place you live in! I love walking too; it's the best exercise. I live in Vancouver BC and there are many parks and lakes close by, plus the gorgeous sea wall in Stanley Park. Have fun building your leg muscles!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photos from the south Diana.
    I have friends who have biked the rail trail and loved the experience however I would rather walk it too.
    When we did a canal trip in France a few years ago, we had bikes for riding up to the villages and along the tow path - I would rather walk than ride any day!

    Thank you for your comment on my blog - for all its beauty Pierre de Ronsard has no perfume. I'm a lover of old fashioned roses and I was reluctant to purchase this one at first, however those magnificent blooms more than compensate I can assure you!

    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  16. That trail is exceptionally beautiful!! Good luck to you, I know you can do it as I feel your spirit!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay...how exciting. I wish you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete

please feel free to leave a comment, I love to hear from you